Saturday, October 13, 2007

Identity Theft?


This has been a question that has been swirling around in my head for quite some time: "How do I maintain an identity other than wife/mother?" I find it really hard to find time for myself. I know that this is the dilemma of every mother, and so I don't want to sound like I am whining. I also don't want your to misunderstand my confusion, because I love being Naomi's Mama and Ron's wife. I just need to find a way to keep being me!
I only really started feeling this way after Naomi was a few months old. Maybe it is related to nursing Naomi and only being away from her for a few hours at a time? Or maybe its being at home too much? Or maybe this is just what being a mom feels like? Some days I just don't know....
When it was just me and Ron, I felt great. I love being Ron's wife. I was in school full time and working part time. My days were filled with intelligent conversation and continuous learning. Now it seems like one day is just like the one before. Up at night with Naomi. Playing. Changing diapers. Cleaning. Laundry. Cooking. Put Naomi to bed. Then if I am lucky at the end of the day I get a few minutes with my beloved. Lather, rinse, repeat. Does anyone else feel the same way? Is this just what being a mom is like? Any suggestions about how to find a new balance between my identities?
I think that this is part of the reason I started blogging. Mostly for me. I needed something that was a hobby that I could do from home that would connect me with other people, especially other women and friends that live far away. I love reading about other peoples adventures and thoughts. Although I am often only a "lurker" on many blogs I still enjoy reading them. I am often inspired by the courage and lives of others. Sometimes I have a great laugh. And other blogs are thought provoking. Check out some of these blogs on the right side of this post.

No comments:

"To laugh often and much, to win
the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false
friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, or a garden patch... to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This
is to have succeeded!" - Emerson