Friday, November 17, 2006

Our Ultrasound

I don't know what I expected when I went in for our first ultrasound on Tuesday. I was excited and anxious to see the baby and to know that everything was going to be ok. Our appointment was for 1pm so I began to drink a lot of water! Can you believe that they ask you to drink 8 cups of water in 1 hour before your appointment. This works out to 2 liters! Needless to say I had to pee, badley. We got to the clinic and waited for our appointment. When my name was finally called Ron and I both got up to go in, however the technician asked Ron to stay in the waiting room untill she had taken some measurements of the baby.
The technician began the ultrasound and told me that the head was on the left side of my stomach and the feet were on the right side. As the ultrasound continued I began to get nervous. It seemed to be taking a really long time! The technician was silent and did not say anything to me. She kept sighing and repeating the same actions over and over again. By this time I had bee in the room for about 1 hour! I soon realized that either there was something very wrong with this baby or the tech did not know what she was doing. Finally she told me that she was having trouble getting a good shot of the heart. I began to worry that it was too small or malformed! She left to find another tech to help her.
Meanwhile, poor Ron is left in the waiting room wondering what is going on! He even asked what was taking so long. They told him that sometime it takes a while longer because the baby is in a bad position. All Ron could think about is that they were counting how many babies were in there! 1,2,3,....
Finally another tech came in an completed the tests. It only took her a few minutes. She corrected the false meausurements that the other tech had made. She reminded the other tech that false readings on the ultra sound could result in the doctor ordering an amnio, which has major risks of misscarriage. I was glad that this second tech came in. She assured me that everything was fine and that I dont have to worry. This made me feel a lot better.
When Ron finally got to come in it was so wonderful to see our little one! The baby had its arms crossed on its chest and then moved one arm back and forth in what seemed like a wave hello. What a beautiful sight to see our small child move! We are so excited to become parents, we can hardly wait! What a blessing to have this kind of technology.
I know that every mother would say this, but I feel that our baby is the most beautiful one in the world. Praise God!
"For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (Psalm 139:13-14)
"To laugh often and much, to win
the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false
friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, or a garden patch... to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This
is to have succeeded!" - Emerson