Monday, January 12, 2009

Potty Training Day 1


I have been thinking about getting Naomi potty trained before our next baby arrives. Now I know that we still have 18 weeks left before D day but I don't want Naomi is "regress" when the next baby comes. Plus, I can't deny that I don't want to change two sets of diapers!
This morning I decided that enough was enough. Naomi seems to be displaying many signs that she is ready.
1) Has words for pee, poo, diaper, and toilet
2) Knows where the potty is and what it is for
3) Can follow instructions
4) Dislikes being dirty
5) Shows interest in what happens in the bathroom
6) Dislikes having her diaper changed
7) Has consistant bowel movements
I sure hope that she is as ready as I think. The last thing I want to do is to push her to much so that she become resistant. I am staying really positive when I talk to her about using the potty and including lots of praise when she sits on the potty even for a few minutes.
This morning was a good start. She had two pee accidents, but she also sat on the potty 4 times. She didn't actually pee, but we read a potty book and practiced wiping and washing our hands.
Does anyone have any suggestion on how to make this process go smoothly?
We'll se how the rest of today and tommorow goes.

3 comments:

Heidi Ens said...

Keep up the efforts, but,she will do it when she is ready. You can train till you are red in the face, and she will do it when SHE is ready. Don't get frustrated or give up, but don't pressure her to the point of fear and frustration. It will happen.

Alanna Latham said...

Michael had these treats called Gushers and Aidan always wanted but never could have. When it came time to train Aidan, he got 1 for sitting on the toilet, 2 for peeing and 3 for a bowel movement. I think we switched to smarties after awhile, but the novelty of getting the Gushers sure helped too! Hope everything continues to go well!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck
Schelle

"To laugh often and much, to win
the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false
friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, or a garden patch... to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This
is to have succeeded!" - Emerson